Trust means a lot to us at Hammer Hardware. We’re dedicated to providing friendly, personal service and great advice to our customers, and we understand that this means treating your personal information with care and respect.
Hammer Hardware also has a valued relationship with Mitre 10 (New Zealand) Limited, which includes benefits in terms of sharing resources and technology. This means that in some situations Mitre 10 will collect, process and store personal information on our behalf.
Information we collect from you
Most of the personal information we collect about you is provided by you directly during your interactions with us at our stores or on our website, www.hammerhardware.co.nz, including through your membership of loyalty programmes we’re a part of (such as AA Smartfuel).
We always take care to ensure that we only collect personal information needed to run our business. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Contact and identification information – for example, your name, address, telephone number and email address.
- Loyalty programme information, such as your AA Smartfuel number.
- Account (and payment) information, including bank and credit card details, and for credit account customers, information about your credit history.
- Purchase information, such as specific products or services purchased, dates of purchase and any returns.
- Video footage or still images, where our stores operate video surveillance systems (wherever you see video surveillance systems and/or a sign notifying you “CCTV IN OPERATION” or similar, including in-store and in our carparks).
- The number plate of the vehicle you have used to visit any of our stores that use an automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) system.
- Social media contact information (including any communications via social media).
- Communications we have with you (such as emails), including complaints and feedback.
- Information you have provided us if you have expressed interest in joining the Hammer Hardware group.
- Contact and similar information if you are a supplier or service provider, in connection with the supply of products and services by your business to Hammer Hardware.
- Digital information, such as that collected by cookies on our website (see below for more information about cookies).
Information we collect from others
In certain circumstances, we may also collect personal information about you from third parties.
We’ll only do this if you’ve been told first, where permitted by law or where you have authorised another agency to share that information. It is important that you read the privacy policies for all agencies you deal with, as you may be permitting the sharing of personal information with us when using those services.
In particular, we may collect personal information about you in the following ways:
- Publicly available sources - Including from agencies such as the Companies Office, internet search platforms and social media platforms, such as Facebook and Linkedin.
- Credit reporters and referees – If you apply for a credit account with us, we may collect credit information about you from credit reporters with your consent. Where you agree we may also contact other people or businesses for the purpose of obtaining a credit reference. This information helps us to assess your application for credit.
- Anyone sharing information with us to help us manage loss prevention, retail crime and public safety, including other retailers and law enforcement agencies.
How we use personal information
We primarily use the personal information we collect about you to ensure that you receive the best products and services from us.
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To fulfil orders and deliver products and services to you.
- Managing our relationship with you, including contacting you about your purchases and/or account and considering your feedback and complaints.
- To administer competitions or promotions you participate in.
- To assess any application that you make to us for a credit account, including contacting referees.
- To send you marketing information where you have agreed that we can.
- To determine your product or service preferences or to direct you to your closest store when using our website.
- To undertake data processing, data analysis, market research or trend analysis.
- Enabling us to operate and develop our business.
- In the case of our suppliers, to manage the provision of products and services to us and our customers.
- Managing and monitoring our risks, including:
- preventing and detecting the commission of offences or fraud;
- ensuring the health and safety of our customers and team members;
- identifying and investigating health and safety hazards or incidents;
- undertaking product recalls;
- recovering any unpaid debts or other monies owing; and
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations and any lawful requests from government agencies or regulators.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes, either after notifying you at the time of collection or where those uses are permitted by law.
How we share personal information
Sometimes, we need to disclose personal information to third parties in order to carry on our business.
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- trusted third parties involved in providing products and services to you, such as to product suppliers, couriers, tradespeople and installers.
- our trusted service providers, who provide other administrative and operational services to us in connection with our business, including for example IT service providers, advertising agencies and payment processers.
- third party platforms who serve advertising or content (including personalised advertising) based on your personal information or preferences (including social media platforms such as Facebook).
- AA SmartFuel Ltd to meet the AA SmartFuel programme purposes
- debt collection agencies or credit reporters as part of the credit account set up or debt recovery process.
- the Hammer Hardware network, and other local retailers, where we reasonably believe it is necessary in order to protect staff, customers or property or to assist other businesses to do the same.
- law enforcement agencies, where we reasonably believe it is necessary to assist with the management of retail crime.
- our professional advisers, where required to enable any such adviser to provide services to us.
- other persons disclosed to you at the time the relevant personal information is collected.
How we keep your personal information secure
The personal information we collect about you may be held by our individual stores in their own systems, and/or on our behalf by Mitre 10 using their trusted data storage providers (which may include storage in ‘cloud’ facilities).
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is protected against loss, unauthorised use, access or disclosure and any other misuse.
Where our stores operate CCTV systems, they ensure that access to CCTV footage is limited to staff who have a legitimate purpose to view and use it.
We retain your personal information only for as long as we need it and we destroy the information we no longer need in a secure manner. CCTV footage is automatically deleted on a regular cycle, though it may in some cases be retained for longer where necessary to investigate an incident or assist the Police to investigate an offence.
Your rights to access or correct your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of any personal information Hammer Hardware holds about you, or to ask us to correct it if you believe it is inaccurate.
To make a request about your personal information, email us at email@example.com or write to us at Privacy Officer, Hammer Hardware Ltd, Private Bag 102925, North Shore Mail Centre, Auckland 0745 .
If you believe that your local Hammer Hardware store holds personal information about you – such as CCTV footage – then you can contact your local store to request it.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by businesses not affiliated with us. Linked websites may have their own privacy statement, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit them.
We are not responsible for the content of any websites that we do not control, any use of those websites or the privacy practices of those businesses.
Any further questions or complaints
Where we have refused a request for access to, or correction of, personal information or where you have any other concerns about the way we have handled your personal information, you have the right to make a complaint.
In the first instance, please let us know about your concerns by contacting our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out above. We’ll do everything we can to put the matter right, but if we can’t resolve your complaint for you, then you have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by:
- Completing an online complaint form at www.privacy.org.nz; or
- Writing to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143.